Mise en place
Mise en place [MEEZ ahn plahs], is a French term for ‘everything in its place’ referring to having all the ingredients necessary for a dish prepared and ready to combine up to the point of cooking and all tools close at hand.
By following this concept you will transform your cooking experience to a more organized and efficient one.
- Read the entire recipe before you begin
- Check your inventory and be sure your have all ingredients or reliable substitues
- Start with a clean kitchen and clear off counter tops
- Prepare ingredients (peeling, chopping, dicing, measuring…) before you begin a recipe
- Pre-measure and sift any dry ingredients
- Have all of the tools needed to complete the task or recipe handy before you begin
- Prepare entire dishes or elements of a recipe in advance whenever possible for best time management
- Keep containers handy to place food scraps to be tossed in the trash or compost pile
- Be sure to keep salt and pepper within reach so you can season as you go
- Preheat ovens, prepare pans, etc.